Saturday 8 May 2010

1 May - Salcombe Coastal Marathon
























































Sue Staddens 40th, so we arranged to head off for a long weekend. As I had already entered the Salcombe Coastal, this was obviously the destination of choice. Arrived Friday evening & as usual, had the obligatory umpteem bottles of wine - those girls leading me astray!
Saturday morning bright & early after another of those disgusting packet of porridgey gloop, Alf dropped me off at Torcross. Felt a little sick! Not sure if it was the wine, porridge or nerves. Legs a bit tired still from last week, & the prospect of 26 miles of coastal path was a little daunting!
Met Kerry Venn at the start & we headed off at around 9:05. All very relaxed as the runners are pretty much responsible for own times. Sun was shining although it was pretty cold! Loads of very odd "hashers" running & using their equally odd nicknames! We met: Sneezy, SnowWhite (ugly as!), Rambo, Cowpat, Shatnav & Zorro amongst others! Very odd bunch!!! Had a good trot to the ferry at Salcombe where the gang met us & fed me sandwiches. Off again along the path to the end. Felt fine apart from the last 3 or 4 miles where my legs just didnt want to do anymore! Good old Kerry pushed me along. Did feel I was really holding her back although she didnt seem to mind. It was only at the end that I realised she was also carrying a back pack which weighed an absolute tonne! Mad women. At the end our garmins only measured the course as 25 miles so we duly decided to do an extra mile to make it the obligatory 26.2 m & therefore official marathon distance. All uphill of course. Our 26m complete time was approx: 6 hr 43 mins.
Still, celebrated with a shed load of wine in the evening. Next day my mate Tanja Britz came around for a braai & several more gallons of the grape juice were consumed. Damned embarrasing having to put out the recycling!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha....yeah the recycle bag was rather LARGE!!!!!!!!!! was a fab night away and good to meet all your mates I had a really great night besides the constant interviewing by Alfie! ha ha bless him. Your porridge sounds oh so delicious. Is this what you are planning on using for the MDS? I think you are getting there slowly but surely. You seem to be more focussed on your training now. Like we've always said once you hit the higher distances the running becomes easier it's when you start your training program that's the worst. something I've got to look forward to! ISH! You do amaze me and your a great inspiration! x

    ReplyDelete